Old March 25th 04, 02:58 PM
S.Heenan

Wayne Youngman wrote:
Hi there,

I am trying to decide what size fan to buy for my current P4 build.
I am not sure whether a 80mm or 92mm is best. AT first I thought
92mm was the way to go but after having read a few reviews around the
web it seems like the 80mm fans are giving better performance due to
their smaller *hub* size, which reduces the size of the dead-zone.

I am also trying to decide what Heat-Sink to use also, it's down to
the ThermalRight SP-94 Swiftech MCX478-V which are both good
solutions, so I'm not sure whether I need a *Tornado* Type solution
or go with a quiet version.

I intend to overclock my P4c 2.6GHz to 3.2GHz +

An 80mm 55dB 80CFM 5700RPM is deafening, period.

Using the 92mm Vantec Tornado on the Thermalright SP-94, P4 2.6 at 3.4GHz,
this reviewer found 54C load and 39C idle temperatures.
http://www.3dgameman.com/vr/thermalr...eo_review.html

This next review uses the 92mm Panaflo H1 to cool a P4 at 3.18GHz to 47C
load.
http://www.gruntville.com/reviews/he...sp94/page4.php

I'd opt for the 92mm Panaflo
http://sidewindercomputers.com/pa92hisp.html
http://sidewindercomputers.com/pa92mesp.html

BTW, the stock heatsink can often keep a P4 at 3.2GHz under 50C(load) if
case airflow and more importantly, ambient temperature, is ~20C.