Old January 3rd 15, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default I missed this transition

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 21:15:01 -0500, hp wrote:

Ok, when did video cards take over sound processing for PC's ?
This did not register on my forebrain until several updates
pounded in that 'Hay, my video drivers package has sound drivers
too'.

What the hockey puck?

OldGeek perplexed

Ok, is there a way to return sound processing to the mommyboard??

Logically it would seem to follow updates/transitions to include the
interface, with video, and sound, 'conveniently' combined to one
signal chain for an easier build-assembly setup;- nevermind 'The
Industry' standards and definitions, (the stereotypical BestBuy
computer bundle), for subsequent encodes, control thereof, as to what
"approved" signals a supportive chipset entails.

Still, that's mainstream. Now, what you want to do -- provided an
interest, patience and willingness to delve into a technological maze
of specs -- is to research the OpAmp scheme of things for available
gear for tailoring, taking the sound system up into pro-summer
qualifications;- mindful of a full deck of cards, where usually things
can happen for those whom have that inclination. Computers and
ballistics, neither would have lacked apparent presence to effect
sending a man to the moon, nor is harnessing computer aides less than
tantamount to what a "sound" entails in all its possibilities from a
pro-audio platform.

Trust me, I know. I've built one from a system able to compliment
some newer options. Actually, may only be scratching the surface, at
least until I get into a $300-an-hour, boutique studio environment to
assess what's exactly defining what.

Child play is all I'm saying - what video cards and their standardized
sound means to a dedicated cadre of home studio users and gear
available they've at their disposal. And, believe me, they're out
there and very hardcore, fwiw. (Depending, a lot. A computer also has
that stigma: It's a hole in the ground where you can go to throw away
all your money.)