Old December 15th 10, 05:20 PM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,rec.games.video.nintendo
Doug Jacobs[_2_]

Default PSP2 has PS3 quality graphics

In alt.games.video.xbox The alMIGHTY N wrote:
You're absolutely correct, and that's where Sony's greatest challenge
lies. They *don't* have a good track record with new tech, and
developers aren't going to be confident in investing in all new IPs or
even new entries in existing IPs on an untested Sony platform. I
guarantee that most developers will have learned the lesson Sony
probably didn't about the need to provide a brand new experience and
so won't be putting anything more than ports or rudimentary expansions
to their games on the new device.

Actually I'd say Sony has a rep for great technology - just lousy software
support both in terms of OS and 3rd party applications.

For instance, the PSP is a great piece of technology but couldn't Sony
have spent a bit more time to make it easier for people to transfer media
to it? This stuff with specially named folders and such was pretty silly.

Sony also has a pretty bad rep for providing good support or tools to 3rd
party developers. They might have been able to get away with that with
the PS1 and PS2 but things are a lot more competitive now, and if Sony
wants the PSP2 to have a chance at competing with the 3DS they're going to
have to really work hard to woo those developers.

On the other hand, it's impossible for any developer worth its weight
in gold to look at the 3DS and not think about how much potential
there is to create all new IPs or put brand new spins on existing IPs
resulting in a much better launch library.

The 3DS will make a *HUGE* splash in the market whereas the PSP 2 is
almost 100% guaranteed to be lackluster in comparison.

I think it still remains to be seen just how well the 3DS can pull off the
3D effect. So far we've only got a handful of previews from folks who got
a chance to use one for just a few minutes. I'm interested to know how
they're going to feel after a few hours. Will the 3D effect continue to
be useful or will it just feel like it's getting in the way? Will
developers be able to make good use of it, or will it feel like a last
minute feature that was tacked on?

I still think there's plenty of room for the PSP2 on the market but the
developers there are going to have to do more than just port PS2/PS3
titles to the PSP2. I also hope they do more than simply take PS2/PS3
franchises and continue them on the PSP2, even though I fully enjoyed the
Ratchet & Clank PSP title.

Maybe if Sony is smart, they'll extend elements from the PS3 onto the
PSP2. How about linking your PS3 profile with the PSP2 and offer trophies
and such with PSP2 games? How about streaming apps? Netflix and Hulu on
the PSP2 would make a lot of sense wouldn't it?

Ah, well, one can dream.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.