Old July 15th 18, 10:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Adrian Caspersz

Default Need MOBO wiring intructions

On 13/07/18 01:21, Paul wrote:

Generally +5V and GND pins are separated by enough,
to prevent easy shorting by bending pins. There is a
modicum of safety in the header. Electrically, the
most danger was in some of the SPKR wiring choices.
(I have computers here where the plus SPKR wire is
wired directly to +5V, which is a bad practice.)

Yup,

Ancient memories of connecting up a case shorted speaker to a lowly* 486
motherboard and watching it's spiral wound PVC wires rapidly burning off
- a few amps from the PSU must have seen to that.

I replaced the speaker, and all worked fine.

(*) PC Chips / UMC or some other crap.

--
Adrian C