Old December 11th 19, 01:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.computer.workshop
Shadow[_2_]

Default Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7s free AV software, Security Essentials

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 16:16:49 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On 12/10/2019 3:44 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

The key word was "resident".
I have not had any resident AV in 20 years and have never gotten any bad
stuff.

That's like saying "I haven't worn a seatbelt in 20 years and have never
gotten hurt in an accident."

Better:

""I haven't worn a seatbelt in 20 years and have never
gotten hurt in an accident., but OTOH I don't use a car".

"I don't use a car" = I don't click on suspicious links, I
don't enable scripting for all but a few sites. I don't execute
programs/installers without a reasonable quarantine in case they are
zero-days, I check firewall logs .... the usual basic safeguards.
And even then, I do a weekly offline USB-booted scan and keep
data backups.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004