Old July 7th 09, 06:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan

Default Should I worry about Spin Retry Count?

H. P. Holm wrote:
I had 2 x 200GB DiamondMax10 drives fail last year. One refused to spin
up one morning without warning, and the other got worse on spin retry
and was unable to wake from standby or hibernate. It had the problem
when testing in 3 different computers and plenty of power.

It is a very real problem and it doesn't heal itself.

That's why I moved all of my OS-related data off of it, onto a new
drive. This used to be my boot drive. However, this problem has
persisted for at least two years, as far as I can tell. Yet, I've had
other drives which were both several years newer and gave much fewer
prior SMART warnings, die on me much earlier than this drive has. IOW,
I've been worried about this drive dying for several years, but instead
other drives have died ahead of it. That's why I'm getting skeptical
about the value of this spin retry warning.

Yousuf Khan