Old September 19th 17, 04:18 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,alt.conspiracy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.lang.c,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mike

Default "CCleaner compromised: better check your PC"

On 9/18/2017 7:33 PM, Ant wrote:
In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt Tim wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote in
news

This apparently affected version 5.33 32 bit only. 5.34 has now been
released

And it only infected the 32bit version. So 64bit users were always ok, and
any 32bit users that are up to 5.34 are ok as well.

And according to Piriform, the code put into place was only a loader, a
'back door' so to say, and as far as they can tell no actual damaging
software ever used it. But the info it did steal was not something that one
would want spread around, although in and of itself would not be that
damaging.

Are portable versions OK?

If the program installed a back door, what do we do to fix that?
Uninstalling the program won't help that.
Do we have to update/reinstall CCleaner to get the bad stuff removed?
Does that delete the previously installed malware?
Is there a specific remover for the exploit?
What about anything that got installed by the exploit?
Pardon me if I don't accept the Piriform implication that it was
never exploited.

What's the scoop on that?