Old May 1st 20, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Frank Slootweg

Default Why is this folder so slow?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

I just took a chance, and deleted all of the old newsgroup folders, that
contained all of the old-style messages. Left all of the rest of the
files in that news server's base folder untouched. Then I started
Thunderbird up again. It re-downloaded the messages, and it only
downloaded from where I last left off. It's now filling the data files
known as *.msf (e.g. alt.comp.os.windows-10.msf) rather than filling the
folders! Interestingly, these *.msf files used to exist in this News
folder before, but they were just trivial 1K or 2K files, with nothing
substantial inside them. They are now substantial files now, ranging
from 44 KB to 41 MB. So it looks like having those old folders there all
of this time was preventing Thunderbird from using the new style *.msf
files, even though it had long ago created them!

boggle!

If you apparently did not mind to delete all the old articles, then
why did you keep 580,000 old articles in the first place!?

You can set global and per group retention policies, so if you do not
need so much articles, just set those to appropriate values.