Old December 15th 16, 10:34 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dg1261

Default E510 Goes Black When Desktop Comes Up

Boris wrote in
09.88:

I decided to reinstall the OS again. I formatted the hard drive
and did a clean install. Same problem.
[...]
I was able to install SP3 from a CD I had. It installed successfully.
I then began to get automatic updates show up in the system tray.
I did an Express Install, but it shut down. I tried a Custome
install, but it shut down.
[...]
This is not a normal shut down. The machine doesn't give me a BSOD
or lock up when it shuts down, What happens is that the monitor
goes black, which indicates no incoming signal from pc, and the
keyboard lights go off. Both the processor and power supply stay
on, and the green light on the motherboard stays on. The network
light (amber) stays on.
[...]
This one's really got me.

Boris,

All the additional information you've provided sounds vaguely reminiscent
of the symptoms customers were experiencing during an industry-wide
scandal a decade ago over bad capacitors. That scandal hit all the major
brands--Apple, Lenovo, HP, and especially Dell--mostly their Optiplex
models. (Do a google search if you want to learn more.)

Now that I think about it, the E510 was first released during the same
era.

In fact, it occurred to me my wife is still using a E510. Her computer is
still running fine, so I hadn't put two and two together and didn't
consider whether the E510 might be susceptible to the bad cap problem,
but I suppose some E510's could be.

That's when I decided to go take a peek inside her E510. Guess what?
She's got two bad capacitors!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...TJOQU4ySUFXdzA

The first four photos show the two bad caps, as indicated by their
bulging tops. Note all the good caps have tops that are flat. The two bad
caps are even starting to leak a bit of yellowish electrolyte.

As I said, her computer has been working fine. But I now realize it's
just a matter of time before she starts getting the symptoms you're
experiencing. I'll have to put it on my to-do list to pick up a pair of
820uf electrolytics and replace them on her motherboard before they fail
completely.

I don't know if you're having the same problem (perhaps with different
caps), but this has taught me the E510 is indeed susceptible, so it's
probably something you may want to consider.