Old December 14th 16, 04:44 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default E510 Goes Black When Desktop Comes Up

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in
:

In message ,
pjp writes:
In article , lid says...

Boris wrote:
Paul wrote in
news
Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

[]
OS disk, went into repair, and used the sethc.exe method to
reset the password:

[]
This worked, but now the monitor power light goes from green to
orange (power saving mode), the keyboard lights go out, and the
mouse light goes out. I can hear the power supply fan still
going. Thinking it may have been a problem with the discrete
video card, I removed it and set to use the onboard video.
Same problem. The

***
problem also exists in all Safe Modes.

***

Funny, though, as long as I don't enter my new password, the
thing stays on. That is, it will sit there forever asking me
to enter my password, but as soon as I do, everything goes out
either immediately after hitting Enter, or a few seconds after
the desktop comes up. I've tried a different monitor, too, but
same problem.

That brief glimpse is significant: it suggests the computer (with
whichever video hardware you're using) _is_ generating the display.
Although the keyboard and mouse lights going off is odd - but may be
the computer detects an I'm-unhappy signal from the monitor, and shuts
down (partially). If you get to the point where you've entered the
password, but not pressed return, and unplug the monitor (VGA
connection or something fancier?) at that point, do the keyboard and
mouse lights stay on? If they do, press return (with the monitor still
disconnected), and see if they _still_ stay on. This _might_ tell us
something.

I elminated the need for a password, so that's not a problem anymore.
But, it still turns off under other circumstances.

Yet another monitor - an old CRT one - might also tell you something.
[]

I got rid of all my CRTs long ago. Too bulky, and I have lots of LCDs
now.

I noticed thatthere was a (probably) monitor generated message
that flashed very, very quickly just before the monitor went
black. I took a video of it with my cell phone, and watched the
particular two frames that had the message:

"Cannot Display This Video Mode
Optimum Resolution 1200 x 1024 68mHz"

Ah, there's the problem: the monitor works best if only refreshed
about every 15 seconds. I suspect it said 68 Hz, not 68 mHz ... (-:

Yeah, 68 Hz (-:

How in the world do I change this if I can't get into the
desktop?
On an LCD monitor, the OSD is supposed to display
"Out of Range" when the resolution or refresh is wrong.
A typical "problem" is the Refresh getting set to 150Hz
by a corruption of some kind. The normal LCD refresh is
60Hz.

That's why I said a CRT one might help.

*******

I thought the idea was to enter safe mode and select the lowest res
allowed. Then boot back into normal mode which should also load that
low res and then up it to what you want, e.g. set it to 800x600 in
safe mode and assuming you then get a screen under normal mode try
upping res until it stops working. If it's not what you expect at that
point you can diagnose further. I've had to do that a few times years
ago mucking with video cards and monitors before hardware worked
itself out.

You might also try deleting the video driver under Device manager in
safe mode and see what happens when it redetects video card when
booted normally.

Unfortunately, Boris says the "problem also exists in all Safe Modes"
(his capitals).

Yes.