Old December 11th 16, 04:22 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pjp[_5_]

Default E510 Goes Black When Desktop Comes Up

In article , lid says...

Boris wrote:
Paul wrote in news
Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

I have a Dell E510 that has been running Windows 7 Ultimate fine for
a while. I put it on the shelf in October 2015, and brought it back
out last night. I forgot the password, so I used the Dell supplied
OS disk, went into repair, and used the sethc.exe method to reset
the password:

http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-t...otten-windows-
password-the-easy-way/

This worked, but now the monitor power light goes from green to
orange (power saving mode), the keyboard lights go out, and the
mouse light goes out. I can hear the power supply fan still going.
Thinking it may have been a problem with the discrete video card, I
removed it and set to use the onboard video. Same problem. The
problem also exists in all Safe Modes.

Funny, though, as long as I don't enter my new password, the thing
stays on. That is, it will sit there forever asking me to enter my
password, but as soon as I do, everything goes out either
immediately after hitting Enter, or a few seconds after the desktop
comes up. I've tried a different monitor, too, but same problem.

Any ideas?

TIA

I noticed thatthere was a (probably) monitor generated message that
flashed very, very quickly just before the monitor went black. I
took a video of it with my cell phone, and watched the particular two
frames that had the message:

"Cannot Display This Video Mode
Optimum Resolution 1200 x 1024 68mHz"

How in the world do I change this if I can't get into the desktop?
On an LCD monitor, the OSD is supposed to display
"Out of Range" when the resolution or refresh is wrong.
A typical "problem" is the Refresh getting set to 150Hz
by a corruption of some kind. The normal LCD refresh is
60Hz.

*******

I thought the idea was to enter safe mode and select the lowest res
allowed. Then boot back into normal mode which should also load that low
res and then up it to what you want, e.g. set it to 800x600 in safe mode
and assuming you then get a screen under normal mode try upping res
until it stops working. If it's not what you expect at that point you
can diagnose further. I've had to do that a few times years ago mucking
with video cards and monitors before hardware worked itself out.

You might also try deleting the video driver under Device manager in
safe mode and see what happens when it redetects video card when booted
normally.