Old December 11th 16, 01:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default E510 Goes Black When Desktop Comes Up

Ben Myers wrote in
:

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 4:26:36 PM UTC-5, Boris wrote:
Boris wrote in
09.88:

I have a Dell E510 that has been running Windows 7 Ultimate fine
for a while. I put it on the shelf in October 2015, and brought it
back out last night. I forgot the password, so I used the Dell
supplied OS disk, went into repair, and used the sethc.exe method
to reset the password:

http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-t...otten-windows-
password-the-easy-way/

This worked, but now the monitor power light goes from green to
orange (power saving mode), the keyboard lights go out, and the
mouse light goes out. I can hear the power supply fan still going.
Thinking it may have been a problem with the discrete video card,
I removed it and set to use the onboard video. Same problem. The
problem also exists in all Safe Modes.

Funny, though, as long as I don't enter my new password, the thing
stays on. That is, it will sit there forever asking me to enter my
password, but as soon as I do, everything goes out either
immediately after hitting Enter, or a few seconds after the desktop
comes up. I've tried a different monitor, too, but same problem.

Any ideas?

TIA

I noticed thatthere was a (probably) monitor generated message that
flashed very, very quickly just before the monitor went black. I
took a video of it with my cell phone, and watched the particular two
frames that had the message:

"Cannot Display This Video Mode
Optimum Resolution 1200 x 1024 68mHz"

How in the world do I change this if I can't get into the desktop?

Can you start up the E510 in safe mode (F8)? Once in safe mode,
change the resolution there. Apparently it was originally used with a
different monitor

Yep,it was running an ATI Radeon card with a digital 19" LG TR1933
monitor. My son set it up to play games. I tried the ATI/LG monitor,
but still no luck..

I usually remove Windows login passwords with this:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Thanks, Ben

You can download and run it from a CD (obsolete), floppy (even more
onsolete) or a bootable flash stick. Download the latest ISO and use
RUFUS or YUMI to set up the flash stick.