Old April 15th 07, 09:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Arno Wagner

Default bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

willbill wrote:
bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues
with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power,
most recently power

what an aggrevation!

are others seeing this?

Yes, I think there is a special place in hell for the idiot who designed
the SATA connectors on the disk. I've given up, and when I build a PC I
install a drive housing that occupies 3x5.25" bays and gives me four hot
plug SATA bugs. Because of the way this is designed I've not had a
single problem with power or drive connectors since doing this. The one
I use is:

http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
these with a PCB manufaactured shoddily enough, that I got CRC
errors on some of the disks. These errors were severe
enough that disks dropped out of the RAID they were in and
vanished vcompletely when connecting them directly. Took
me a week to debug and then I just threw this trash out.

I was also quite unimpressed with the cooling.

Arno

I've got one that's been going about a year now, the other is more
recent. So far I've not had any problems with them. But there are other
products out there, maybe there are some better ones.

Maybe the just fixed that production quality issue.

Arno