Old April 28th 11, 01:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
JohnB

Default Dead e1505 question

Hi y'all, just an update on my issue and a couple of follow up questions, if
I may.

I did find a used MB, in the chassis, on eBay. It was fairly straightforward
using the online Dell manuals to swap in my WXGA+ screen and other existing
parts over and get the thing up and running.

So I am back up and running Windows Vista 32 bit. One thing I missed in my
haste was checking which motherboard I was getting (and why it's important).
What I got was an early one, with a t1300 processor ('single' I think they
call it). My bad motherboard supports a different FSB speed, so swapping in
that dual processor is out. I also realized that I can't swap in my 256MB
video card as this one uses integrated video, and without taking it all
apart, I'm trusting there is no connector for the card.

Now, is there a cost effective way to speed things up a bit? I believe this
will take up to a t7600, but I'm not believing the bang for the buck is
there, at around $150. Would a faster HD make a noticeable difference? Some
other lowlier CPU?

Thanks again. - John

I took the advice to look for a used motherboard
"JohnB" wrote in message
Hi -

I have an e1505 laptop. About a month beyond the complete care warranty,
the thing just "blinked" off while in use. That's the best way I can
describe it. What happens now is, when I plug it in and hit the power
button, the power supply's green LED immediately goes dark. I can
unplug/plug in at the wall to reset the power supply, but the same thing
happens when I try to power up.

The battery (Dell) is new, and the power supply checks ok (also tried a
replacement). So, is the motherboard likely gone/shorted out? And if so,
is it worth replacing, I think they can be had for a couple hundred and
I'm not averse to taking the thing apart.

Thanks! - John