Old April 12th 11, 05:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Default Dead e1505 question

On 4/11/2011 2:51 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
On Apr 11, 8:57 am, wrote:
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:12:59 -0400,
wrote:

Hi -

I have an e1505 laptop. About a month beyond the complete care warranty, the
thing just "blinked" off while in use. That's the best way I can describe
it. What happens now is, when I plug it in and hit the power button, the
power supply's green LED immediately goes dark. I can unplug/plug in at the
wall to reset the power supply, but the same thing happens when I try to
power up.

The battery (Dell) is new, and the power supply checks ok (also tried a
replacement). So, is the motherboard likely gone/shorted out? And if so, is
it worth replacing, I think they can be had for a couple hundred and I'm not
averse to taking the thing apart.

Thanks! - John

Think you may have a screen issue. I had one and I didn't feel the
cost to fix was justified so it went to the trash.

If the E1505 has a screen issue, the best way to determine this is to
attach a monitor to the 15-pin SVGA connector. Then diddle with the
Fn-key combinations to switch to the external monitor... Ben Myers

given the described symptom of the led going out on the ac adapter it
sounds like an electrical short which would most likely be a failed ac
jack connection to the motherboard, the systems dc-dc converter, some
other motherboard short, or a failed ac adapter (possibly a cut in the
cord or defective connector. not likely that it would have anything to
do with the screen.