Old January 14th 08, 11:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Default Computer keeps freezing...

Is the CPU fan spinning fast enough? Are the CPU fan clear of all dust and
debris?

Instead of smashing the computer, drop it off here (Harvard, MA) if you are
nearby, or I can pick it up, or donate it to a charity as-is with an explanation
of what is wrong... Ben Myers

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:01:04 -0800 (PST), AlphaOmega wrote:

On Jan 14, 2:42 pm, Colin Wilson
REMOVEEVERYTHINGBUTnewsgr...@phoenixbbsZEROSPAM. co.uk wrote:
Thanks, I will try your suggestions. And if it don't work it will be
dismantled and disposed of.

No need to dispose of it just yet - there are a couple of other things
to try too, to help determine whether it's a software or hardware
issue.

a) try a live linux CD, and see if it keels over as often

b) is the CPU fan actually spinning ?

c) unplug and replug every "major" connection on the motherboard - the
contacts shouldn't oxidise, but if it's just a crap connection, this
might sort it

d) run memtest86 on it (there are two variants from competing
suppliers, one of whom has a paid-for version available too) - you can
usually tell within a few seconds if the memory is flaky !

For strange hardware problems / lock-ups, (d) might be a smart first
choice :-)

a) no

b) yes

c) done

d) big hassle to get to work, easier to just smash computer.