Old September 18th 03, 04:47 AM
~misfit~

"Phrederik" wrote in message
news:abS9b.642$8D4.641@pd7tw1no...
I have 2 hard drives: my C drive (primary IDE Master) is a 20GB drive
with the OS and apps; the Slave drive is a 120 GB IBM Deskstar with
documents only. (Spare me the anti-IBM hard drive stuff, I know I
should have gotten a WD.) As noted, they worked fine for a long time
on my old system.

But after transferring the drives, I couldn't get the new computer to
boot up, I kept getting a screen where the nice people at Microsoft
apologized for my inconvenience and offered to launch Windows in Safe
Mode, or the last known good configuration, etc. None of the choices
worked.

You *CAN'T* just move a hard drive from one computer and put it in another
and expect it to work. It *MIGHT* work for some, but definately a bad idea
to depend on it.

Of course you can, if it's a slave drive (Not housing the OS). I've done it
dozens of times with no problems.

Back you data up to another location, move your drives an

reformat/install.

Whatever.

Everybody here seems to be missing the point that the BIOS isn't ID'ing the
drive correctly. Either the drive was damaged (It wasn't dropped was it?) or
maybe the BIOS might need updating.

Getting the BIOS to ID the drive correctly seems to be the answer. I assume
the drive is jumpered correctly to slave? (if it is in fact slaved on the
primary IDE channel). Check your jumpers, check your cables are seated
correctly. If the drive is primary slave try moving it to secondary master.
Check the jumpers on your optical drives as well.

Then get back to us.
--
~misfit~

---