Old October 23rd 12, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Yes

Default How many hard drives (and size) do you place in your build these days?

Brian Cryer wrote:

"Yes" wrote in message
I'm curious.

-- snipped--

Personally, I don't intend to use cloud based storage for my files,
but are you all going that route?

No. I like to know where my files ...

Me too - and who can potentially access them if not on my pc.

For those who run their build as a virtual pc (I'm thinking about
making the switch), any thoughts about how many HDs to use and why?

I now have two servers in the office on which I run other virtual
servers. Typically I've gone for four drives - mirrored system disk
and two data disks which I use for various virtual pc/server images.
None of the servers I've virtualised are hitting the disk much, but I
have gone for as much RAM in the hosting server as possible. None of
my virtual servers are particularly disk intensive, I've given the
virtual servers only the RAM I think they need (upping this if
necessary) and in this environment (YMMV) for what I'm doing ensuring
that the hosting server has ample RAM was more important than
worrying about numbers of drives. In my case 32GB or RAM, more than
that would require changing the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. A virtual pc has started piqueing my interest but never had
seen any user feedback about how much RAM or how many HDs were useful
for it. It looks like I might only need to up my RAM in order to have
at least the basics for a virtual machine. Still not sure I'll do that
because of how I'd want to configure the s/w side, but that's a
different issue :-)