Old August 4th 20, 03:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default "Western Digital releases new 18TB, 20TB EAMR drives"

On 7/19/20 9:05 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 7/18/2020 1:41 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 11:42:06 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

On 7/16/2020 5:39 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Western Digital releases new 18TB, 20TB EAMR drives"

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...b-eamr-drives/

"EAMR offers similar density gains to HAMR and MAMR, with less exotic
tech."

Wow, that reminds of the good old Prime mini days with the $250,000
twelve platter twelve inch hard drives.

SSD is definitely coming on strong.Â* I keep on wondering if the
holographic media is ever going to be useful.

Lynn

The amount of trickery needed to keep increasing the HDD's capacity is
starting to become unsustainable: SMR, HAMR, MAMR, EAMR, etc. It's
starting to look like, that among magnetic recording technologies, tape
is going to end up outliving HDD's, even though HDD's were originally
intended to replace earlier versions of tape. Even the main advantage of
HDD over tape, random access read or write performance, is no longer
that much of an advantage, as HDD's are starting employ technologies
that make them horrible random access writers, negating their advantage
over tape. It's going to be SSD's and tape only from now on.

I can't tell if you're serious. I mean, obviously not, but no smiley
anywhere, so I'm not sure.

Tape has never been a viable random access medium and never will be.
If you're a glutton for punishment, I suppose you could use it for
archival
purposes, but even that's a stretch these days. Check with your local
museum to see if they have a tape system they're willing to part with.
There's a reason why all of the big data storage organizations use hard
drives exclusively.

Not that many years ago a family member who works for a *large*
data-storage company was telling me about their *huge* robotic tape systems.

I have had so many tapes fail over the years.Â* There is nothing like the
experience of flying Houston to Dallas, cabbing over to the mainframe
building, grabbing a nine track tape, flying back to Houston, delivering
the tape to the customer, then finding out that the freaking tape was
empty.Â* I could go on and on and on.

Doesn't anybody do compare-after-write checks?

Perce