Old April 26th 20, 02:59 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default What is "AC" with old hard disk?

VanguardLH wrote:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Martin Leese writes:

Hi,

I am transferring an old hard disk (20 Gbyte
Maxtor D740X) from an old PC to a newer one
(Dell Dimension 3000). On the old machine
the disk was the boot drive, and so was
configured as the Master device. On the newer
machine it will be a Slave device.

I have the "Jumper, CHS, and Install Guide"
for the drive, but there are two Slave
jumper settings. These are called "Slave"
and "Slave with AC", but nowhere does the
document explain was "AC" actually is.
(There is also "Master with AC" and "Cable
Select with AC".) What is "AC"?

I can't Google at the moment because my old
PC does not have the required encryption
protocols. This is why I am trying to
upgrade.

I found the manual on line, and couldn't find the settings with AC -- it
does have Slave with CLJ and Master with CLJ, however -- these are used
to tell the computer that the drive has fewer cylinders than it really
does, for *really* antique machines whose BIOS can't deal with a disk
this big. What I found is for the US market; if you're not in the US
could it be renamed for different markets?

If it were me, I'd set it to Cable Select, no CLJ.

Assuming you get the correct IDE connector (I think it was the one in
the middle) on the drive to make it a slave. If you're using a
one-connector cable, set the drive as Slave (since you don't want to
boot from it).

Well, that should've been "If you are using a 2-connector IDE cable (1
at the mobo port, 1 at the drive), set drive to Slave. If you are using
a 3-connector IDE cable (1 at mobo, 2 at the drives), use the middle
connector if you use CSEL (that's why it's called Cable Select by
deciding which connector, end or middle, to use at the drive). Or just
set the drive to Slave and don't worry to which connector you attach to
the drive."

Since the drive will be out of a computer, getting at the jumpers will
be easy. Instead of worrying about using the wrong cable connector,
setting the jumper to Slave eliminates an accidental wrong connection."