Old October 30th 11, 08:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Default DVD Writer only recognised as CD/DVD ROM in XP

pcpilot wrote:

I am troubleshooting an RM Compal CY27 Laptop with XP Pro SP3 installed
as an OS. The CD Drive has been replaced with an Hitachi GSA-T40N
slimline drive which I have updated the firmware to JW02 (latest
available).

The issue is this, whilst Image Burn will find the drive and happily
burn CD's/DVD's (thus I know it works!!!) XP will only recognize the
drive as a DVD-RAM Drive and so all recording functions are absent.

On deeper analysis the Imapi service is missing from services altogether
and no appropriate registry entries are present. The 'filters' issue
widely reported does not apply as the registry entries reported (Upper &
Lower Filters) do not exist in the first place.

I have downloaded and installed Imapi V2.0 (for SP3) of microsoft but
the service stubbornly remains absent from the services list and so no
recording tab, no drag and drop to burn or other features are available.

Is it this one (KB932716)?
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ng=en&id=17073

What version is the wmp? There were CD problems with wmp7 and Roxio
software.

"Installed Media Player 7 and now I am having problems with my CD
Drives.
(Roxio Article Number 000726-0003)