Old March 22nd 11, 07:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Default DVD drive vanishes after ejecting

Greg Forschler wrote:
smh wrote:
Greg Forschler wrote:

I have a new Lenovo Windows 7 desktop PC and every time I play a CD
and then eject it, the drive suddenly vanishes from device manager, so
if I put another CD in, it will not auto play, and the drive is not
listed under Computer, or device manager, or in File Explorer. If I
reboot it comes back, but only for the first time I put a CD in, and
does the same thing when I eject it.
Any ideas how to prevent it from vanishing from the system?

That's a strange problem. How about go into Device Manager and uninstall
the DVD drive and then reboot? Have you tried any of the options when
you right-click the DVD drive?

I have tried uninstalling and then rebooting to see if it found it. I
have to manually find it again, and then it works 1 time again, up
until it is ejected.
I don't know if it's a Win7 problem or a hardware problem. I've never
seen anything like this.

As mentioned, it's a strange problem. After uninstall, Win7 should find
the drive when reboot. Go into the BIOS and see if the drive is listed.
Offhand don't know what the BIOS settings should be, but look into it
anyway. As a last resort there's always trying with a known good working
drive and see if the problem persists with it. (Also squirt some canned
air to clean or dislodge any dirt that may cause the problem.)