Old September 6th 03, 04:16 AM
idunno

On 4 Sep 2003 19:57:01 -0700, (Jeff Sutter) wrote:

Does anyone [yet] sell a SnapServer-like kit, where you provide your
own drive(s)?

I'm hoping for a network-attached, not firewire/usb device, in a very
small package, so it can go on the road, that allows drives to appear
as multiple 32g FAT32 partitions, so I can still access them from
Windows 95 systems.

Thanks for any pointers.
Jeff.

How about Linux on one of those small cube-like shuttle barebones kits
http://us.shuttle.com/

the totally brainless way is with some small form-factor PC and
reByte; an IDE flash card with NAS software preprogrammed:
http://www.rebyte.com/
on sale at that website and even on eBay:

Small form-factor PC's set up as a NAS device by Joe Blow in his
garage somewhere in Nowheresville USA are on auction all the time for
not very much on eBay.
An example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=14 84

Unfortunately I have NO idea as to the quality of ANY of these items.
I cannot seriously endorse any of them or these sellers. I wouldn't
know where to look for something like what you describe in a retail
store or OEM.

If you plan to access the data on the NAS solely through the network
it doesn't matter what file system you use. Fat32 would be necessary
only if you are planning to physically remove the drive and plug it
into your Win95 box.

If it just needs to be portable and compatible, what's wrong with a
USB HDD? Through the OS of the computer you connect to you can easily
share it on the network.