Old December 8th 07, 11:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

Default BIOs Warns Hard Drive Failing, but Drive Passes Test

On 8 Dec 2007 10:49:49 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 23:58:48 -0600, jim evans
put finger to keyboard and composed:

[ Maxtor 5T030H3 (T3R3A14C) ]

03 Spin Up Time 63 193 192 23900
OK: Value is normal

0A Spin Retry Count 223 222 221 30
Pre-Failu Imminent loss of data is being predicted

It looks to me like your drive may have had a stiction problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stictio...er_maintenance

Modern drives cannot have stiction problems, due to different
surfache coating. This is something different, e.g. a shot motor
driver or a defectiove PSU that is unstable on the 12V line.

Do not continue using this system until you have found
the problem and make a complete backup NOW! The vendor diagnostics
is simply lying to you, this is a very serius issue, as it could
well cause catatstropic death, i.e. a completely inaccessible drive
without further warning.

Arno

Thanks for the correction.

I found the following interesting document:
http://datacent.com/maxtor_data_reco...&model=5T030H3

"Another issue with Maxtor hard drives is damage to the components on
the cirquit board (PCB). Maxtor drives are very vulnerable to
overheating, power surges and bad power supply unit combined with
power streak is usually enough to burn spindle driver (usually SMOOTH
L2750 chip) on the PCB."

FWIW, a few people at this forum are also having spin-up issues with
Maxtor drives:
http://my.ocworkbench.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=50318

Here are some examples of catastrophic failu

Burnt Chip on Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 causes drive failu
http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/burnt-ch...-hard-disk.htm

Smooth L7250 chip family:
http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/hard-disk-smooth-l7250.htm

- Franc Zabkar