Old December 8th 07, 05:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Default BIOs Warns Hard Drive Failing, but Drive Passes Test

jim evans wrote

Today on bootup, after the drives are recognized this message comes up:

Primary master hard drive S.M.A.R.T status BAD.

Warning: Immediately backup your data and replace
your hard drive. A failure may be imminent.

Then I run the manufacturer's drive test and it says:

Congratulations, your drive passed the test, and it is in good condition.

So, which do I believe, the warning or the test?

The warning.

And, if I decide to believe the test and keep using the drive,
how do I get rid of the message that halts bootup?

Disable it in the bios.

Post the Everest SMART report, for a better idea about what is happening with the drive.