Old March 30th 12, 01:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Jim Beard[_2_]

Default Rare hard lock ups with videos with acceleration with an oldATI Radeon 4870 HD video card in a Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine?

Perhaps more heat generated due to more intense processing
activity? Or the extra current draw exceeding the power supply's
ability to consistently provide?

But a 650-watt power supply really should not have such problems.
Of course, it is possible for the voltage/current on a specific
set of rails to be out of spec while the rest of the thing is
fine. A bad connection could do that. But I would not fool
around with a power supply unless I knew exactly what I was
doing, even with the thing disconnected from the mains.

Puzzling.

jim b.

On 03/30/2012 02:28 AM, Ant wrote:
Interesting. I have had this Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650 watts
ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active
PFC power supply since end of 2010 when it was new. Also, why
would having video acceleration cause these rare lock ups when
having none doesn't?

On 3/29/2012 4:08 PM PT, Stephen H. Fischer typed:

Hi,

I have seen posts on AVS by a resident HTPC expert suggesting a
flakily
power supply may be the cause of the problems like you are seeing.
(11,544 posts and not a moderator.)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...aysprune=&f=26

Might expose your problems to more experts with better advice.

SHF (1,082 AVS posts)

"Ant" wrote in message
m...
Hi!

I am having annoying, rare hard computer lock ups ...

Thank you in advance.

--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.