Old February 21st 10, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH

Default terrible CPU or CPU fan noise on some startups - BIOS alteration?

poachedeggs wrote:
On 21 Feb, 14:16, TVeblen wrote:
On 2/21/2010 5:07 AM, poachedeggs wrote:
Snip

What's your opinion on this? I started reading up about whether a
cold home could be bad for a pc, and saw some advice to stop at the
BIOS stage in cold conditions to let the machine warm up. The
terrible din hasn't recurred - the only reason I'm not at present
reacting to your splendid advice - and I've also moved the pc to the
least cold part of the room.

Snip

No. Heat is the enemy of electronics. Not cool-ness.
A fan squeal is a mechanical issue. It would be aggravated by cold
conditions but that does not change the fact that the fan is
defective is some way - usual;ly correctable by proper oiling as the
others have pointed out.
Other than BIOS error code beeping, I can not think of a single
instance where a noise coming from anywhere but the speakers could
be software related.

We can ignore the fan noise now, it occured only yesterday and has
stopped. I just need to learn more about my other enquiries here, the
instability with W7 - Windows Explorer crashing and whether it's to do
with awrong bios setting in relation to my 800mhz ram etc. I've put
the posting on Asus' own forum too but it seems fairly moribund there.

Thanks for any further input.

Could just be the Elixir memory, I've never had any luck with it, and I've
tried it on a few builds. If I do a build for someone now, they pay for
Crucial or get a PC with no memory.

--
SteveH