Old April 28th 06, 12:31 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default Cost of storage calculator?

On 27 Apr 2006 10:09:21 -0700, wrote:

To add to my question Bill... I guess what I am getting at is... while
cost of storage itself is decreasing, isnt it the case that the amount
of storage an enterprise consumes is generally on a rapid increase?
And that offsets the decrease in the cost of storage...

So the product (storewiz) we are evaluating is one that would optimize
drastically (up to 60%) of the data entering the primary storage
servers...

The value proposition is that having less data implies less overall
costs wrt hardware and management.... and we for example dont have a
steady amount of data... its always (every quarter) growing by many
gigs (if not TBs)

/l

In some companies that may be correct. In others the pure quantity of
data is not the issue, it's the management of that data.

For instance, having 100TB of data just sitting there is not really a
problem for me. But managing that same data ( association and
cleanup, SOX compliancy, etc) , is the hard part.
Most of "management" revolves around policies, which is not something
solvable by a product.

~F