Old September 27th 08, 08:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
William R. Walsh

Default Gateway PROFILE III CX

Hi!

It has an integrated Intel 810e graphics that cannot handle 32-bit
color, so there must be some special software drivers to address this
video chip

As far as I've ever been able to tell, the 810/810e graphics subsystem is
simply not 32-bit color capable. Most implementations can manage 24-bit
color though.

Another older computer lives again, performing well beyond its Microsoft
operating system death...

I'm glad you mentioned this, and I think it will only get more popular than
it has as Linux gets easier for the end user to handle.

Open Office is a good free Microsoft Office Suite replacement in both
Windows and Linux...

....and Macintosh, where it's called NeoOffice. (Although it should be said
that OpenOffice can run in X Windows on the Mac OS, and that work has been
done by OpenOffice.org to make their product run natively on OS X.)

Unless you are in the accounting, or legal department of your fortune 500

company
open office will provide more than most people use an Office Suite to

accomplish...

I would recommend everyone who can try OpenOffice do so, maybe even if they
are in these lines of business. I've supported it in a business environment
where everyone on the outside was using Office for everything...and
OpenOffice has managed to keep pace very, very nicely. I've even come to
like its Word Processing module better than Word.

William