Old October 11th 04, 02:38 AM
Paul Heslop

Default Problem with disc burning in cdrw/dvd drive

I have a new machine, (running xp home sp1a) inside of which is a
combo-52X16C (that's all the info there is on it, no brand or
anything) the first week it was writing fine but on high speeds could
wreck discs so I set it to 16x and it seemed okay. then it stopped
burning cheap silver discs, but that's also fine... I didn't use it
for a few weeks due to the machine itself being very unstable and
while I was checking through some error logs I noticed a small mention
of a bad block on cdr... i hadn't used the drive for a while so I put
in a blank and tried... nothing... then I put in a used cdrw...
nothing. Basically it will read any disc which already has content
but not blanks. If I try to burn it waits until i say burn then says
the drive is empty.

The recording tab is present and I'm at a loss. I've uninstalled and
allowed windows to install drivers again, nothing.

I also tried looking at the registry entry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\CD
Burning\Drives

which i spotted on the net but when I get to the last part there is no
'drives' part.

I'm pretty much at a loss after attempting many things, including
using nero, inbuilt windows burner and mediaplayer (which I've never
used before so i may have done that one wrong, but anyway it failed)
--
Paul (If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?)
Stop and Look