Old January 27th 08, 10:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
ejay

Default Dell PA-10 ac adapter center pin

Hi there, I have a PA-10 adapter which I accidentally damaged by
shorting the inner barrel with the centre pin. I have dismantled the
adapter and unsoldered the Dallas 2501 IC. Do you know how/where to get
this replacement part?

Can you also describe how you were able to read/write to the 2501? What
eeprom reader did you use? It would be awesome if you can provide the
details necessary to program up one of these ICs so that I can obtain a
replacement and get my adapter working properly again.

BTW, when the Dallas 2501 chip is damaged, the laptop (in this case a
Inspiron 8500) runs OK off mains power, but the battery won't charge.
The BIOS also complains about not knowing what type of adapter it is,
with the message "The AC Power Adapter type cannot be determined. This
will prevent optimal system performance".

Thanks for your assistance

PS
No thank you to Dell for making such easily broken products. Why can't
you guys at Dell design your systems to use a normal AC adapter without
the need for silly detection circuits?

'Ejay' (http://ejay.com.au)