Old June 15th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jonathan

Default Ebuyer unbranded memory doesn't work - how do I even know I have the right stick?

On 15 Jun, 20:36, John Jordan wrote:

Apparently the motherboard in that PC has the Intel 865PE chipset. These
only support chip densities up to 512mbit, so 8-chip 1GB sticks will not
work. Those cheap 16-chip "high density" sticks they sell on eBay won't
work either, but for a different reason.

Branded 16-chip 1GB sticks should work fine, but these will be more
expensive.

Ah - now that's a good answer, just not one I wanted to hear! OK - how
do I find out whether a stick has 8 or 16 chips?
All the crucial sticks say 128x64, so if each chip is 128Mb, then
there can only be 1024Mb.

I found the Crucial Scanner thing http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/index.asp
but it only wanted to recommend Ballistix sticks, or kits with parts
that ebuyer didn't have.
Bearing in mind the memory is going to have to go back to ebuyer, can
you please let me know what to search on?
I used the memory finder tool at http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/list...x?model=MD8083
which recommended a CT434183 stick, but ebuyer don't have that part.
There's this, though: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/65719/rb/0 -
but again, it doesn't say how many chips, just that it's called
CRUCIAL 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 184-PIN UNBUFF 128MX64 Memory

Sigh.

This business with 8-chip and high-density non-working chips is a
whole new world to me. I foolishly thought that one thing called a 1GB
DDR PC3200
400MHz 184pin non-ECC stick of RAM would be the same as another stick
of RAM with the same name.