Old October 19th 17, 04:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default Power Supply Failure?

Ben Myers wrote in
:

Boris, the power supply is a BESTEC, one of the worst ever. HP and
eMachines used them, and some dolt in Dell's purchasing department
made the decision to buy them for use in Inspiron 530s and other
machines.

Bestec power supplies have a terrible feature. If a Bestec power
supply fails, it sometimes takes the motherboard out along with
itself. If you are lucky, the 530 motherboard will still be good.

First step, since you do not want to retrain your elderly
mother-in-law, is to replace the power supply. The form factor is
generic, so any decent power supply with a 24-pin power connector and
4 SATA connectors will do. DO NOT BUY ANOTHER BESTEC.

If the power supply replacement does not do it, contact me at
. I have one or two 530 motherboards that I
have pulled from 530 systems taken out of service. Will sell it to
you at a modest price + exact shipping.

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 2:29:37 PM UTC-4, Boris wrote:
Hi,

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, circa 2012, running VistaHP
x86, belonging to my 93 year-old mother-in-law. She called me to day
and said "It's broken".

The power button does nothing. When I hold in the power button,
there's no sound whatsoever. The fan in the back of the power supply
does not spin, but the little green light on the back of the power
supply does glow green, When unplugged, the light goes out. Other
than that, nothing makes a sound, and nothing else occurs.

Here's the power supply:

https://postimg.org/image/4hdxxqbwkr/

Sound like a PS issue?

TIA

Hi, there, Ben,

Yes, I do remember Bestec/eMachines. I will stay away from that brand..
BTW, the 530 is from 10/30/2008, not 2012 as I previously thought.

I've got to get my workbench cleaned off today and I'll take the PS out
and see what's available locally.

Thanks.