Old May 11th 05, 12:36 AM
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Q. "I suspect that means that it can be installed on a completely new machine
and will activate ok. Is that true?"

A. Not if its an OEM version....only a "Retail Version".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...xp/choose.mspx

"Michael C" wrote:

| Last night I upgraded a customers machine with new motherboard, cpu, memory,
| video card, netcard and soundcard. The only thing that was the same was the
| HDD, dvd drive, tape backup and scsi card. I was having trouble with the
| internet so I phoned MS to activate XP again. After it activated I asked him
| what the limit is to hardware change before XP won't activate. He said that
| XP oem has to always remain on the same PC to be activated. In return I
| asked "what constitutes the same PC?". He kept going around in circles and
| not answering my question and just stating that it has to always remain on
| the same PC. He never gave me a definition of what "same PC" means. In the
| end I asked if it was more of a policy than a technical limitation and he
| said "thank you for calling microsoft to activate your software" and hung
| up!
|
| I suspect that means that it can be installed on a completely new machine
| and will activate ok. Is that true?

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0519-0, 05/09/2005
Tested on: 5/10/2005 6:36:44 PM