Old July 2nd 18, 08:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Slightly off-topic: Tracking Files

On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 00:11:50 -0400, Bill wrote:

No, but it does show a/the explorer.exe process. Its description
on the right says "Windows Explorer". I think this is not
closely related to internet explorer, but I could be mistaken. I
don't run Internet Explorer unless a web site "forces me" to.

Might like a look at Process Lasso
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_Lasso

Once a mainstay, unfortunately no longer freeware, although it can be
had for nothing, upon occasion I notice others say, when offered free
for some incentive, possibly through an email registration exchange
thing.

I've an older version, perhaps not now available for self apparent
reasons, when programmers want hard money.

Running programs, although similarly identifiable within a Windows'
counterpart program style resource monitor, have slowed down my
computer without a usual indicative from apparent resource draw. Once
I forcibly terminated them the operating system resumed to normal
status and function. Where PL does it's thing, is that rules can be
specifically defined for particular instances of programming modules -
PIDs - such as stopping, terminating them, throttling priorities,
restricted utilization and such.

Not that you shouldn't be able to trouble-shoot from Windows'
provisions for side-processes, knowing first how and what you're using
to delete files isn't the culprit -- at anything less than as it
effectively should be -- for an instantaneous erasure.

Stuttering all over sectors can be Bad News anytime, especially on a
disk if indicative of a possibly bad or failure-prone HDD headed
southbound. A fully-stuffed and fragmented drive, conceivably with
its files busted up and all over hell, although I've never run with a
likes, so they say, will also evidence "thrashing" in a bad way.