Old June 16th 18, 01:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Unreally Lucky HDD

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 22:54:36 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

6. My previous experience using a Seagate drive was around 1997. I put
two Seagate Barracude SCSI drives because they were rated as best
of class for enterprise environment at that time, and my thoughts
were that if major businesses were using them based on quality
and reliability and I could afford it, then that was sufficient
reason. I value reliability and quality. The next build I moved
to using WD drives to fit a more modest budget and because
IIRC the qualty of Seagate drives, as WD IIRC, was starting to
decline given what users were saying.
6. It was my first experience with a 3TB installation. I chose the 3TB
model because newegg offered it a price that was reasonable when
compared to what they had on sale then, and I was not interested
in a larger drive due to price and unfamiliarity with using those
sized drives. I still had 1TB across three drives in reserve, so
a really large drive (4+TB did not make sense given my usage.

So as a sample size of 1, my experience wrt the DOA drives could just
be one of those outrageous outliers. All I can say is that I'm
crossing my fingers and hope that I don't experience any more problems
with the HD.

Thanks John. I've interchangeably went with Seagates since MFM, RLL,
and first IDE 40G drives. Yes, there are periods where the
manufacturer will quality vary, including Sea Snakes, where it seems
best just to go with the flow and risk where your interpretation for
reliability would seem best placed. I've also had horrible Western
Digitals, even if an exception for generally proving where fools and
money part. I'm neither laughing, also having returned a 3T drive,
based on my experience with a security-class HDD (intended for camera
installations). I willingly paid the return, at and on my costs, for
that experience. A little less on the price for the ST4000DM000
linked in the prior message, a little less for ratings across a
satisfied purchase base, but given appreciable shipping costs and
customer service - they nonetheless count to your sense of worth and
purchase value. You mentioned, unless I'm misinterpreting, you're
effectively tapped out on returns -- Seagate will only send you so
many replacement warranty issues, three now being your last right to
make a warranty claim? No doubt WD, as would others, have similar
provisos. I've experienced, for the most, a positive reception for HDD
reliability. A minimum effort on my part in part perhaps to check
first for patterns between popular reception among drive model
offerings, and then some regularity for fragmentation maintenance,
undue thrashing, or a general appreciation to correctly meet a type of
software operations normally expected of HDD usage.

Busy, hard-hit WEB servers and a volume of nonstop random distribution
criteria is a scary comparison.

Well, you're over the hump and into a present technology for Mass
Storage. Also on value time now - committed to getting your money's
worth out of a Seagate without further support. I'm not sure how I'll
make the transition after my first attempt with the 3T security-camera
HDD. Perhaps I'll skip it altogether, rather for some ridiculously
priced 8T, or near capacity, HDD of commonly acceptable (a great
subject for the flavor of day) regard.