Old October 14th 07, 05:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wookie

Default Note on Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound

What was that P.T. Barnum used to say...

Don't step in the elephant ****

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:10:24 +0000, rms wrote:

Just a note that I tried this on a KN8 + Opteron170 + geminII setup, and
it
worked fine, and did drop temps from AS5 a couple degrees. With Prime95
running on both cores at it peaks at 53C at about 28C
ambient.

As an afterthought I put it on both ends of the chipset heatpipe heatsink
and saw temps actually rise a couple degrees. But I suspect this is
bogus,
as I think the tempsensing chip is also underneath the heatsink and
didn't
get any compound on it, because it sits lower than the voltage regulators
and I didn't think about it. The stock thick tape that I removed
probably
touch it. In any case system temps never rise above 38C.

Anyway, thumbs up on MX-2, though I think they were stingy with the
syringe,
it looks like 2 applications is all it will do.

Bummer. I get about 5,000 applications with the 99 cent thermal compund I
use that I bought about 30 years ago, which also worked better than the
original thermal compound. My X2 3800+ maxes out at about 55C with a
system temp of 40C with both cores close to 100%. But my cooler only cost
$6.95, a TR2-M6. What was that P.T. Barnum used to say...