Old November 27th 04, 03:13 AM
w_tom

Actually one screw to chassis is a single point just as two
screws were a single point. The single point was the entire
region that included IO slots, single screw to chassis, and
power supply connection. This single point (or region) is
located at the far end of PC board to that no transient
current passes through sensitive electronics regions.

Again I emphasis an Intel recommendation that the single
point area have additional grounding layers. Just more reason
for any ESD currents to remain in the single point region and
not taken scenic tours through the sensitive digital
electronic areas.

I noted an Intel suggestion of more grounding at the chassis
connection area. I did not bother to explain why while
wondering if you understood the significance of that
additional motherboard grounding. I guess not.

Intel demonstrates single point grounding. This so that
transient currents in chassis do not pass across logic ground
plane where transients could cause computer crashes. Computer
assemblers are advised to heed Intel recommendations. Do not
connect motherboard to chassis at every mounting point - to
increase computer reliability. A technique long practiced by
experienced and learned engineers. A practice that many
computer assemblers still deny - even after an Intel *pdf
document demonstrates the concept.

Again it is a so simple concept. Connect logic ground to
chassis ground so that transient current on chassis will not
pass through motherboard. It is called a single point
ground. It is even demonstrated by the cited Intel document
that YOU provided. I must assume you did not comprehend what
Intel wrote. For some, the complexities of grounding were
previously unknown. Grounding is but another reason why ESD
solutions can appear complex.

BTW I did not say "that only ONE is the only suitable
means". Read back. I posted other means of obtaining the
single point ground. Another was to connect every mounting
hole the a chassis plate, and then have only one electrical
connection from chassis plate to chassis. Why did you forget
this and other single point grounding solutions? Is being
wrong (again) so hard to admit?

We keep doing this. I provide facts and electrical
concepts. You keep denying it; all without demonstrating
knowledge of engineering principles. This time it is more
interesting. You provided the Intel document that
demonstrates what I had posted. Interesting new way to deny
basic electrical principles. Deny them and then cite an Intel
document that disagrees with your denial. Yes, I am amused.

David Maynard wrote:
It is not at the 'far end'. They are as near the potential ESD
entry point as possible but HALF way across the motherboard, over
6 inches, from each other.

of a motherboard so that, again, electrical currents in the
chassis do not pass through motherboard logic ground. The
single point ground, IO board connections, and power input
connect to chassis at the same single point - at the far end
of a motherboard. Where I recommended only one screw
connection, Intel recommends two in the same location to
create the single point ground at the farthest edge of
motherboard.

"Two" is not a "single point."

Demonstrated by page 30 of that Intel 815E Chipset Platform
document, no currents across electronic sections

Correct, because they are shunted to chassis *there* instead of
seeking your 'single point ground'.

The motherboard ground also transverses the PSU power cable to the
PSU's chassis ground; which makes for THREE chassis ground points
in just this limited example.

And then, each AGP/PCI card with I/O will have it's chassis end
plate connected to ground. And then there's the drives which have
logic to chassis ground connections. There's logic/chassis ground
connections all OVER the place.

of
motherboard means no computer crashes due to static electric
discharges to chassis. Best not to mount motherboard with
conductive connections everywhere. Intel recommends only two
connection, both at the far edge to make same single point
ground - adjacent to IO slots and power connector. Intel
document does not recommend conductive standoffs everywhere on
motherboard - as I had posted.

The issue was not about a connection 'everywhere'. The issue was your
patently false claim that only ONE is the only suitable means.

David Maynard wrote:

Look up Intel 29835002.pdf, Intel® 815E Chipset Platform Design Guide,
section 2.2 Electrostatic Discharge Platform Recommendations where it
specifies connecting *two* motherboard mounting holes to ground, one
on each side of the rear I/O area, so that any ESD there is shunted to
case in the shortest possible path.