Old June 27th 19, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default green led

T. Ment wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 15:47:44 -0400, Paul wrote:

At 4mA, the LED will still light.

I don't know if my motherboard has a resistor, or what value. And unless
you care about fire, wild guesses are more fun than math.

1k ohm sounds about right to me. That should be an easy one to find.

You know it has a resistor.

A resistor is the cheapest and most appropriate thing
to add.

Some companies *do* add over-the-top LED driving
circuits, with a ton of analog devices in the
path. They do this to control RF emissions from
where the LED pokes through the faceplate on
equipment.

The computer industry is not burdened by such
foolishness :-) You got your resistor. It cost
a nickel. End of story. That's how the thinking goes.
Everything is cost driven.

Paul