Old December 15th 17, 09:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "What is HAMR and How Does It Enable the High-Capacity Needs ofthe Future?"

On 12/15/2017 1:12 AM, Mark Perkins wrote:
On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 12:52:55 -0600, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

"What is HAMR and How Does It Enable the High-Capacity Needs of the Future?"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hamr-hard-drives/

"During Q4, Backblaze deployed 100 petabytes worth of Seagate hard
drives to our data centers. The newly deployed Seagate 10 and 12 TB
drives are doing well and will help us meet our near term storage needs,
but we know we’re going to need more drives — with higher capacities.
That’s why the success of new hard drive technologies like Heat-Assisted
Magnetic Recording (HAMR) from Seagate are very relevant to us here at
Backblaze and to the storage industry in general. In today’s guest post
we are pleased to have Mark Re, CTO at Seagate, give us an insider’s
look behind the hard drive curtain to tell us how Seagate engineers are
developing the HAMR technology and making it market ready starting in
late 2018."

Wow, 20 TB in a single hard drive.

I love the advances in capacity, long after some folks speculated that
they had gone as far as they can go. I just wonder what number will be
in the 'wow' statement 5, 10, 20 years from now. At some point, the unit
of measure might not even be TB.

I thought that the absolute limit of rotating hard drives was going to
be 6 TB, then they introduced helium. Now it seems that 20 TB drives
will be released in 2018 or so. Of course, Seagate has reputedly
released a 60 TB SSD drive for $10,000.
http://blog.exxactcorp.com/seagates-...exxact-review/

However, I keep on waiting for holographic memory blocks of incredible size.

Lynn