Old August 22nd 17, 08:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

Default Driver update for Latitude E4300

In message , micky
writes:
Hi, I bought 2 weeks ago a Dell Latitude E4300, a small laptop, Win7,
64-bit.

It had a fingerprint sensor and an ID card sensor. They don't have

(What's an ID card sensor - I mean, what sort of card?)

their software anymore, because win7 was re-installed, but that implies
to me the computer was used in a corporate or government environment.

Not necessarily - some resellers do that too. (In fact most respectable
_refurbishers_ do.)

(It also had IIUC the ability to do a special fast boot that would
enable it only to get email. It used separate boot files that were hard

[]
I went to dell support, entered the tag number, and ran the driver
checkup and it listed 9 drivers to be updated!!!

Gosh that's hard to believe.

Video, Chipset, Video Graphics, Audio, Bios, Mouse/Keyboard, Network,
Network Wireless, Serial ATA.

Not to me: the refurbisher (or original owner if they did it) could well
have installed the minimum set of drivers that give you a working
machine. (Can you even get all the video resolutions the hardware is
capable of?)

That's almost everything. (What's left?) Even though the thing seems to
be working fine now. Should I install them one at a time or all at
once?

As others have said, when it comes to drivers, "if it is working, don't
upgrade" - unless you know there's something (a) it can do (b) you want
to do (c) the current driver can't. (That would include your fingerprint
reader and "ID card reader", which I notice aren't in the above nine,
unless they come under "chipset" or "Bios", which I doubt. Or possibly
"Mouse/Keyboard".)

It says "Auto Installation not available. Please try again later or
manually download nad install individual updates." Is this one of
those times when later will never come? Or should I wait?

See above.

This would imply the previous owner never updated drivers at all, and
that seems surprising in a corporate environment. Or not??

If "win7 was re-installed", it's highly unlikely that any original
drivers were left, updated or not.

Thanks.

You're welcome (-:.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

This was before we knew that a laboratory rat, if experimented upon, will
develop cancer. [Quoted by] Anne ), 1997-1-29