Old April 12th 10, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Nicholas Dreyer

Default More or less safe to turn off power supply rocker switch?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 02:28:18 +0200, Massimo wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 02:39:00 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 23:30:43 -0400, Nicholas Dreyer
wrote:

I was leaning that way, but my only question regarding that approach
would be: Is there any risk to the motherboard from regularly turning
back on the low-level 5v "soft power"?

You will get different answers depending on peoples prior experiences.

My preference is to leave all electronics running 24/7, with something
like boinc running, to keep the cpu at 100% usage, all of the time.

That way, everything stays at the same temperature.

My cpu (with a 14" fan blowing into the open case) runs at a steady 49C
when clean. When it hits 55C, I clean the cpu heatsink, without having
to shut the system down.

My two hard drives run at 36C and 34C. They were running in the high
forties, before I started using the big fan, with the case cover
removed.

While the bearings on my hard drives may fail sooner, the circuit boards
do not undergo any thermal expansion/contraction, so the rest of the
computer should last longer.

As always, make sure all critical data is backed up offsite.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

I cannot believe my eyes reading this posting. Are you serious?
This will cost you much extra money, only 'to protect the motherboard',
you significantly shorten the lives of your devices and from the
vuepoint of the environment...

Massimo

Yes, I would never want to go through with all that Dave suggests - and
doubt anyone else would, unless they have some extraordinarily valuable
motherboard and hard drive setup - and didn't care about the racket,
expense and environmental consequences of constantly running fans, but to
get back to my unanswered question:

Assuming CPU shutdown is to happen after more or less daily use of a few
hours at most, does daily 5v "soft power" re-energizing of motherboard
via power supply rocker switch prior to reboot add significant, or even
measurable wear and tear on its circuitry?