Old January 24th 07, 05:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Hard drive quiestions

On Jan 23, 9:15 pm, ".D.E."
wrote:
Thanks. I forgot to set the drive to use large files. A format later and I
have 4 gb.

Now to upgrade the drive. 40 gb, 60 gb possible? I recently flashed the bios
to A16. How large of a hard drive can I install?

Dell's documentation doesn't say.

Fwiw, one drive seller is selling 120GB drives for that unit.

Thanks.

".D.E" wrote in messagenews:K6Ush.777688$R63.388138@pd7urf1no...

I recently got a Dell Latitude CP for nothing. I has a IBM DTCA 24090 hard
drive which is 4 GB. I noticed that the drive had been partitioned into 2,
2 GB partitions. I fdisked the drive and fdisk shows that 3.9 GB are
available. However, when I format the drive, only 2 GB is formatted. I ran
an utility on the drive called slate which will remove all partitions. It
successfully removed the 1st partition but can't remove the 2nd one. It
stated that there was a read error on it. Is it possible to use a utility
to remove all of the partitions (1 &2) and get the total 4 gb back? It
looks like the drive is fine. I was able to format and read the 2nd
partition before I fdisked the drive.

Also I would like to upgrade the drive to a larger one. The BIOS is A12.
Max size of new hard drive? Suggestions? Is still possible to get drives
for this laptop?

http://www.drivesolutions.com/cgi-bi...d&itemid=dll79

They're charging too much for the small drives.

Thanks.

--
Later.