Old November 18th 03, 07:07 PM
skids

repost all you want. you aren't going to get satisfaction from dell and you
are now in my killfile.
"Giganews" wrote in message
With repost of my negative experience with Dell at bottom, I'll also copy
and comment on some interesting and constructive comments from folks in
these newsgroups:

- Basic warranties last only as long as manufacturers expect machines to
last.

Perhaps so, but having both the motherboard and screen fail on my Dell
within three years, warranty or not, I will take my chances elsewhere from
now on. (merely doing without machine for weeks at a time, regardless of

$
cost, is a problem).

- Invest more to start with and go with IBM.

I think I will do this. As mentioned, even if warranty and repairs go

well,
breakdowns like with my Dell laptop are too expensive in non monetary

ways.

- Warranty on replaced parts are a year, and therefore my replaced parts
should be under warranty even though basic warranty expired.

Doesn't seem to be the case. Basic warranty period seems to override all
others.

- Ranting in NGs is a waste of bandwidth.

On the contrary, I think it is a good exercise of consumer rights and
responsibilities. It could even affect consumer experiences in future (as
result of their having more information, or as result however unlikely of
Dell taking notice.)

- Recommendations for Dell alternatives have included IBM, Toshiba, and
Gateway.

I'll look into all and as mentioned above, now put priority on quality and
longevity of machine, regardless of warranty options.

- With complications caused by my service (unnecessarily replacing
motherboard which failed 6 mos later), Dell should at least have offered

split the difference with cost of new motherboard.

They did not despite repeated requests for some consideration. The merely
copied and pasted repeatedly in emails that it would cost me $699 for
motherboard and $269 for out-of-warranty repair.

I work on the twelfth floor and wish windows opened so I could get at

least
some amusement out of my dead and not-worth-repairing Dell laptop.

- Dell support for businesses is far better than for home/individual.

I hope so.

Goodbye Dell.

-------------------------

My "Last" Dell experience:

After purchasing two Inspiron laptops from Dell, I had a problem with

screen
banding this April, just months before warranty expired. The Dell
serviceman said the screen was failing, and ordered a new one from Dell.
The box they shipped had a motherboard instead of the screen. He

installed
the mb anyway just to see if by some chance it would remedy the screen
problem, which it didn't. He then reordered the screen and when it

finally
arrived, he replaced that, leaving the "new" mb in place and saying that
after all my problems and waiting, I could now have "a whole new machine."
(He apparently reported that the mb was part of the remedy rather than go
through process of returning it. I don't want to give his name because he
thought he was doing the right thing)

Six months later the "new" mb failed, and the machine's warranty expired

in
the meantime. Now Dell informs me it can only replace the mb for the "out
of warranty" cost of about $1000 (part and labor). I've plead my case

that
the mb that failed was not the original, and had been replaced
unnecessarily, and clearly the "new" one I got was either very used or
faulty.

So Dell replaces the guts of the machine unnecessarily and when it fails

six
months later, I either pay a $grand or toss the machine. Hey, "Easy as
Dell"

But I do have the pleasure since the thing died of an email folder full of
"apologies for inconvenience" and repeated terms and cost of

out-of-warranty
replacement. Couriers of that incessant message included Branden /
DTC22261, Syed / DTC24129, Syed / DTC24129, Kevin / DTC22203, and Paul /
DTO0325671. I even said I'd complain publically if they didn't give some
satisfaction, to which the reply was, "Apologies for........ but I can't
help you on this matter." Actually followed by "Have a great day!"

So left holding a dead machine that I don't think I should have to

replace,
I now have to replace it. Any non-DELL laptop recommendations?

And any Dell lurkers out there, feel free to review this disappointing
odyssey, of course including " the following line in all replies. Tracking
number: AT20030222_0000005327.

Apologies in advance, but I am going to repost this until I either get

some
satisfaction from Dell, or feel I've done my duty as a wronged consumer.

Signed,
One ****ed-off and ex Dell customer.