Old June 23rd 19, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default USB3 PCIe card without extra power plug

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 17:58:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

One of them has the old VIA VL800 chipset. I thought an older model might
be supported. It wouldn't even work in Windoze 7.
I eventually found it works in opensuse Leap 15, so at least it didn't go
to waste.

I suppose some things are like that in an aftermarket -- they need
some consideration. SATA controllers is another. Higher stakes
potentially when there's a costly storage drive hooked up, notably if
there be any question of operational questions subsequent.

The differences I'm seeing in plattered drive performances is
significant from distant and older controllers I had been running, not
just MB chipsets but including PCI controllers to augment MBs with
limited and inadequate SATA slots.

These newer MB chipsets, however, though they directly write/copy
fine, all my defragmenters now and I've several run like total crap,
comparatively to 'smooth as silk prior' and on those older controllers
(one or two from the older stuff had their own instances and problem
issues, to be fair, but I eventually updated/repurchased to smooth
things out). The actual drives are the same, nothing bigger than 2T.

One of these days, the 1T class SSD is going to intersect for the
value as a 2T HDD. Possibly approaching $60 for a decent warranty,
TBW count, and DRAM controller caching. Then again, there's no
messing with SSD and older controllers unless asking. I've two
Samsung old units -- a 128 and 64G that run off old controllers;- at
256G class SSD, a couple years after those two Samsungs, things began
to change and just any grab-bag controller won't cut it anymore.

As for USB -- it's plain nuts these days. Wouldn't surprise me in the
least if someone isn't marketing a USB hair-dryer for matching up
those looking for better hair-do computer day. But at least it's
relatively straight-forward and still does what it does without too
total or any such radical redesigns. There's 1 of 2, these USB before
and then there's USB after "W7" [USB3].

I'm up to USB "On The Go" -- or have one such converter coming for
testing if I can't break something between some relatively faster
SanDisk SD memory cards erstwhile among older USB connections options
I have.