Old July 22nd 05, 06:09 PM
Andrew

Default Presario - no one seems to know

In comp.sys.laptops QuestionAuthority wrote:
: After a thorough search on this problem I came to the conclusion
: that the touchpad lockups I have been experiencing no one knows
: the cause. Several causes are guessed at, but now one really seems
: to know, other than the obvious that compaq makes crap laptops.
: Mine's a 1610 Presario that can lock up randomly at any time, when
: the touchpad pointer is moved simultaneous with some other action.
: Can happen even when offline and little system resources being
: used. Using a generic PS/2 driver which supposedly is ok to use
: with touchpad. Did thorough virus checks, none identified. Anyone
: here know? Thanks.

I presume you have updated the BIOS to the latest version?

Here's a suggestion: try booting another operating system on the
computer and see how the touchpad works there. That might tell you
whether this is a software/driver problem or a hardware problem. If
the touchpad freezes up in a non-Windows OS, you know it's a hardware
issue.

If you have a CD burner and a fast internet connection, go he

http://www.ubuntulinux.org

and download the Ubuntu Live boot CD. This allows you to run Linux
without touching your Windows install on the hard drive. You boot
this on your computer and it loads Ubuntu (Debian) Linux running
entirely from CD, without touching your hard drive (it takes a bit to
load, so be patient). It should recognize the touchpad and
automatically install drivers (does for me). After you remove the CD
and re-boot, your computer will boot Windows again.

Andrew
--
---- Portland, Oregon, USA ----
---- http://www.bizave.com ---- Photo Albums and Portland Info