Old July 31st 18, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Is Class 1 laser safe enough for baby eyes?

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

I meant, what if someone accidentally shine Class 1 laser into a baby's
eyes? Would it hurt retina and leave a permanent damage?

I know ... I know... it should NOT happen. Adults are supposed to be
very very careful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety#Class_1

"A Class 1 laser is safe under all conditions of normal use.

This means the maximum permissible exposure (MPE) cannot be
exceeded when viewing a laser with the naked eye or with the
aid of typical magnifying optics (e.g. telescope or microscope).

To verify compliance, the standard specifies the aperture and
distance corresponding to the naked eye, a typical telescope viewing
a collimated beam, and a typical microscope viewing a divergent beam.

It is important to realize that certain lasers classified as Class 1
may still pose a hazard when viewed with a telescope or microscope
of sufficiently large aperture. For example, a high-power laser with
a very large collimated beam or very highly divergent beam may be
classified as Class 1 if the power that passes through the apertures
defined in the standard is less than the AEL for Class 1;

however, an unsafe power level may be collected by a
magnifying optic with larger aperture."

Looks like that baby is safe. Nothing to worry about.

Paul