Old February 28th 06, 10:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default PSU died. Has it killed my motherboard too?

In article ,
lid (Wandy) wrote:

Thanks for the replies, the broken-down PSU spec (of which I have no
real understanding!) is as follows :-

"Win Power" switching power supply, model ATX-450. Max
output power = 450W. Input : 115VAC 10A max, 60Hz 230VAC, 5A max
50Hz. Output : +12V 20A max, +5V 40A max, +3.3V 28A max, -5V 0.5A
max, -12V 0.8A max, +5V/SB 2.0A max.

So was this good enough to run my machine?...because no doubt the
dealer will just replace it with like for like. If anyone recommends
a particular PSU what is it, and how much will it cost in the UK?

From what I described then does this sound like my motherboard has
gone too?...or can someone suggest why the machine wont boot?

That supply is actually adequate for an average system. I didn't
sit down and do a detailed calculation, but the bare minimum these
days would be about 12V@15A. You have 12V@20A, and the processor
gets its power from the 12V output. (The 12 volts is converted to
a much lower voltage, by a circuit on the motherboard.) The bare
minimum number assumes one hard drive and one CD, and if you
have a bunch of hard drives, then you'd need more +12V. (Power
numbers are available for disk drives, on the manufacturer's
web site.)

If the cost of shipping (to get warranty service) is less
than the $50 to replace the motherboard, then send it back
and have it repaired. The place that built the computer should
put it right. (Note - if you have valuable files on the hard
drive, back them up. Even if it means taking the drive to a
friend's house. Repair facilities just _love_ to reformat
disk drives, whether it is needed or not. Even if you put a
label on the computer, saying "don't erase my files", they'll
still do it.)

When it comes back, you can always put your own power supply
in there. Just take note of where the wires go, and you can
put the new one in.

Your "Win Power" supply could be the equivalent of a Powmax.
I tried to trace it down, but all the hits in the search engine
I looked at were stale, implying perhaps Win Power has
disappeared as a product name. I was hoping to trace it to
a supplier. (If you see your computer case on the Powmax web
site, that would point to Powmax being one in the same with
"Win Power".)

This thread might give you a few suggestions on some brand names.
The information on models ages rapidly, and there will be new
models by now, to replace the old ones.

"The PSU thread"
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=56231

Paul