Old April 9th 08, 04:12 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

Default changing disk size in RAID 5

wrote:
On Apr 3, 9:04?pm, morales wrote:
Hi,

At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
5?

The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when ?we create
the array, or am I wrong?

Thanks for your help

Roberto Morales

I think only 36.4 GB of the disk will be utilised, the rest of the
space not used.

correct. This leftover space is still usable if you create more logical
drives in the raid controller BIOS or with the ACU.