Old April 5th 04, 08:29 AM
Ghostrider

John Smith wrote:

I thought that I would up my performance so I bought a P4-3.06 HT and was
going to replace the P4-2.4 in my ASUS P4T533 motherboard, which is a
revision 1.03 with BIOS 1.06, heat sink on chipset not fan. PC Power and
Cooling 450 ATX-PFC watt power supply. Well the BOIS recognized it just
fine, XP started once and I was able to see the P4-3.06 showing as 2
processors as it does with an HT cpu, and then all kinds of problems began,
blue screens, looping restarts, etc. Has anyone ever been successful
upgrading from a non-HT processor to an HT processor? Thanks, Mike

If Windows XP borrows a page from the Windows NT/2000 playbook,
then the HAL is for a multi-processor machine is different from
that of a uniprocessor machine. A HT CPU would force a re-install
(or repair) to replace the single processor HAL. (HAL==Hardware
Abstraction Layer.)